Also, this past summer I participated in study abroad program in France through the College of Business. I spent 8 weeks abroad and it was the greatest experience of my life. I traveled to 8 different countries and saw many things in that 8 weeks that most people don't in an entire lifetime. If you are an underclassman, I highly recommend you look into a study abroad program. Alright, enough about school.
As far as regular life, I am an avid sports fan and will pretty much watch anything. First, I am a die hard Atlanta Braves fan. However, I have only had the opportunity to see them once at Turner Field in Atlanta back in 2006. They had played the Boston Red Sox, which featured many All-Stars. But one of the most interesting things was who the starting pitcher was for Boston, Jon Lester, who was making only his second career start in the majors.
Although, I've been to only one game in Atlanta, I've been to several in Cincinnati over the years, seeing many of the great Braves pitchers, Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine. But the most recent game I was at was the best of them all. It was a great game throughout, starting with Griffey hitting homerun #599. It was a one run game into the bottom of the 9th, when the Reds scored a controversial run that led to the ejection of Bobby Cox, just adding to the record of ejections. Then in the 10th inning, Jay Bruce hit a walk-off homerun for the first homerun of his major league career.
In addition to these, I've been to several different types of sporting events and have seen some very interesting feats and events. I also saw Sammy Sosa's 599th career homerun in Cincinnati. I'm a big fan of Morgan Pressel of the LPGA and saw her make a hole-in-one at the 2007 Jamie Farr Owen's Corning Classic. Last summer I was at the Los Angeles Sparks and Detroit Shock WNBA game when the brawl/fight broke out among the players and coaches. Also, my sister attended the University of Kentucky a couple years ago and went to a couple football games. One being against the 14th ranked Florida Gators and Tim Tebow. Kentucky was ranked #8 and was the game that the College Gameday crew attended. The other game was last year against the Georgia Bulldogs, featuring Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno, two top draft picks last year.
Outside of watching sports, I also like to participate in sports. I played baseball up until college, but the sport I'm most active in is bowling. I have a pretty deep history and list of accomplishments in bowling. I started bowling when I was 5 years old and continue to bowl today. I currently have bowled 2 perfect games and carry a 225 average. I bowled 4 years varsity on our high school bowling team, which we won the state championship my senior year. The state of Ohio had roughly 350 teams at that time, and it was our school's first team state championship title. Also, my senior year, through a series of tournaments, I bowled in a youth national tournament, where I competed against the best bowlers in the country for a chance to make Junior Team USA.
My sophomore year here at BG, a friend and I started up the club bowling team here at BG. The first year, I managed to make one all-tournament team. Our team ended up finishing 7th at sectionals, only 200 pins from qualifying for nationals in only our first year! During the second season, I bowled the 2nd of my 300 games at a collegiate tournament. I went on to make two all-tournament teams, as well as being voted to 1st Team All-Conference. However, we only finished 10th at sectionals. I no longer bowl for the university and just compete in local leagues and tournaments in the area.
Although this class isn't required in my major, I am excited about learning what the class is all about. With a goal of one day working in sports, I hope this class will give me a deeper look into the history and philosophy of sports and help me achieve that dream job.
Hi Ben,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very informative introductory blog and I enjoyed reading about the variety of sporting events you have witnessed firsthand. I was also interested to read that you spent 8 weeks in France. I wondered if you learned to speak French--either before you went, or while you were there? The reason I am curious is because I have been planning to go to the French Open (Tennis) Tournament, and almost made it this summer. I am determined to go this next year. One thing that kept me from going this year was the feeling that I did not speak enough French.
I was also quite impressed with your bowling accomplishments--especially since you bowled two perfect games!! One of my younger brothers was an avid bowler, and he bowled in a number of junior (and perhaps also adult) tournaments. He recorded a 300 game when he was 17, so I know how exciting that must have been for you to do it twice!!
You asked about posting things besides what we discuss in class. The main thing is that your blog entries need to somehow relate to the readings and/or class discussion. I want to be sure that you bring in something about the readings. Hope this clarifies things.
Great start on your blog! I look forward to reading more of your entries.
Dr. Spencer
Hi Dr. Spencer,
ReplyDeleteBefore going to France, I did not speak any French and didn't really take the time to learn much before our trip. Thankfully our classes were in English and our host family spoke English pretty well. As long as you attempt to pronounce things and try, the people tended to be pretty courteous and most times spoke a little English. However, I would still recommend learning basic phrases and just to make things easier and save some confusion and headaches along the way.
The French Open would be an amazing event to witness. I'm not big into tennis but do follow it a little bit, but I am a fan of Maria Sharapova and do follow her a little bit.
Ben Wuebbenhorst
My nephew bought one of the programs that helps you learn French, and I was thinking about getting that. I do think I would feel better if I knew some of the basic phrases, like you said. I am glad to know that people were helpful. I have not always gotten the impression that they were. Hopefully next year I will find out firsthand!
ReplyDelete