Going into this weekend of college football games, there are 7 teams that are undefeated. Yes, 7! And, as we all know, only two teams can play for the BCS Championship. So, how are these two teams determined? The teams are determined by a computer ranking system that ranks teams based on wins and strength of schedule. What many don't understand is this computer's logic to ranking these teams and honestly, neither do I.
There are a few instances this past week that have many questioning these rankings. For example, going into last weekend's games, Oregon was ranked 10th playing then 5th ranked USC. Now, how is this ranking accurate? They were both one loss teams who lost on the road, but Oregon lost to a MUCH better team in Boise State. Then Oregon pounded USC and only moves up two spots in the polls? Doesn't make much sense.
Another example is the case of Iowa. Somehow last week Iowa was ranked #1 in the computer polls but only 4th in the human polls. First, I think Iowa is terribly overrated. They've trailed in many of their games this season and have relied on 4th quarter comebacks to survive these games. In my opinion, they aren't winning convincingly against any of their opponents. I feel there are some teams that deserve to be ranked ahead of Iowa. For example, Cincinnati, TCU, Boise State, and possibly even Oregon as the best one loss team in the nation. However, I do feel Iowa will stumble coming down the stretch and lose at least one game.
One more example involves the 2nd spot in the BCS. Going into last weekend, Alabama was ranked 2nd in the BCS and had an off week. Meanwhile, Texas trailed them in the BCS and were ranked 3rd right behind the Crimson Tide. Last week, Texas won convincingly over #14 Oklahoma State, who were missing their star wide receiver and were the not the quality team that they should have been. However, in this week's polls, Texas jumped Alabama to take the #2 spot in the BCS. How can Alabama be punished for having a bye week and doing nothing to deserve the drop in rankings?
Sometimes I just don't understand the world of college football rankings. The rankings are based off these ridiculously complex mathematical equations and algorithms, which may be too in depth to determine these rankings. I don't know the exact solution to this problem. I know many believe that a playoff system is the best solution. I like the current bowl system that is in place, I just don't fully agree with how the teams are ranked by the computer polls.
You made an astute observation when you wrote: "The rankings are based off these ridiculously complex mathematical equations and algorithms, which may be too in depth to determine these rankings." It seems like the only solution would be to have a play-off, but it seems like a long way off before that will ever happen. For this year, I do not see how there can be any satisfactory solution, given that there are now 6 undefeated teams as of Week 13 (Florida, Alabama, Texas, TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise State). I found the latest rankings at the following URL: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
ReplyDelete