Tuesday, December 1, 2009

NBA Age Rule

Last week, we had a presentation in class dealing with the rule of players entering the NBA Draft at young ages. Within the past few years, the NBA has implemented the rule where a player must be at least 1 year removed from high school before entering the NBA. This is in an effort to bring in more mature players and allow players more time to develop their skills to help prevent high draft pick busts.

Personally, I don't fully like this new rule. However, I do agree that players should not be allowed to enter the draft straight out of high school. I feel that the 1 year rule should be extended to more years or just abolished altogether. Does a player leaving high school really gain much maturity and skill improvements in just one year? I think the NBA should adopt a rule similar to the NFL's, where a player needs to be 3 years removed from high school before turning pro. I feel this will allow players to become more mature and have multiple years to improve their games before testing the NBA. Also, if the player chose to attend college, a term longer than 1 year will provide the player with more game experience and more life "lessons" while attending college. By spending more time in college, it prevents the school from losing that scholarship money that could be used elsewhere if the player was a "one-and-done". However, I do feel if there is a 1 year rule, maybe the player should play internationally. If the player isn't fit for college classes, then international competition would be a better route. I feel that being in a foreign country quickly causes someone to "grow-up" so to speak. I personally spent 8 weeks studying abroad in a foreign country, not knowing the language, and being a big step outside my normal comfort zone. But you learn to adapt and have to do many things on your own.

As to every discussion, there is always another side. From the personal standpoint of the player, why stay in school for multiple years when there is the opportunity to make millions at such a young age? Money is a big temptation and everyone wants to be well compensated for their efforts. And if it's a high profile player coming out early, there will be a big guaranteed contract as well as many endorsement companies lined up to sign them. This is a highly debatable issue, that can also lead into another lengthy discussion. If players are forced to go to college, should they be compensated for their efforts and revenues players generate for universities?

Overall, I think the NBA needs to keep an eye on this rule, as I feel they are moving in the right direction by at least implementing the 1 year rule. I don't know the exact solution or right solution for these situations, but I just don't feel that 1 year really serves much purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Ben, when you suggest that the NBA needs to implement something similar to what the NFL has. I think the argument against that is that college players are not as ready physically for the NFL, as (some) college basketball players may be for the NBA. For some reason, no one has been able to successfully challenge the NFL on that (remember Maurice Clarett?). I think the idea of players going to the NBA after only a year (really it is more like a semester) hurts college programs as well. It has to be very difficult for an Athletic Program to sustain itself on temporary student athletes. I can see where it was a no-brainer for someone like Lebron to go straight to the NBA, but I would still rather see players go to college for at least 2 or 3 years.

    ReplyDelete